Saturday, April 25, 2009

Gluten Free Food Fest in Portland, OR. Reviews :)

*** I just got back from the gluten free food fest in Portland, OR. It was awesome! I wrote reviews from the notes I took on products, a lot are local places to Oregon but most of the good places have websites you can order from!***
Angeline’s
www.angelinesbakery.com
I tasted the white bread and it was awesome! Very light! And it had a nice flavor. Her table was flooded with people the whole time so that is a good sign :D

The Mississippi Pizza Bar
In Portland I believe….
Awesome GF Pizza!

So Delicious
Not so Delicious…

Laurels Sweets
http://www.glutenfreemixes.com/
YUM!

Black Horse Sauces
www.blackhorsesauces.com
Very Good!

New traditions Baking
Out of Portland, OR 503-887-5991 NTBaking@q.com
Cheesecake, I think that says it all. Ok maybe more is needed…Pretty awesome Cheesecake. The plain cheesecake was ok, but the chocolate cheesecake almost make me pass out it was so divine!

Options Baking Company, Inc. Keizer, OR
Why do people think that if they slap gluten free on something people won’t care how it tastes and just buy it? I give them an F for freaking crap!

Bavarian Mills
Dry, I choked lol.

Arbonne cosmetics
www.arbonne.com
Lots of selection, was very aware of gluten issues with skin care. $$$$$ Pricey!

Allergaroo
Packaged, ready to eat/microwavable kids snack packs! Like spaghetti-o’s

The Organic Bistro
www.theorganicbistro.com
This pissed me off! The woman was telling everyone “Our frozen dinners are completely gluten free!” So I asked her ‘Do you have a dedicated factory?’ her answer…”what do you mean?” so I clarified…”Do you make stuff with gluten in it on the same equipment as the gluten free items.” Her answer….”Welll um If I’m understanding you correctly….uh well of course we make other products with wheat in them in the building….sometimes on the same equipment…” Priceless.

Nickanedit-Nut Snack Bars
www.nickanedit.com
If you enjoy dirt, this product is for you.

PaPa G’s
www.papagees.com
Flavored Tofu was out for tasting! They are a deli and have some gluten free items. The tofu was very good :P

CCP Bakery
Gross, Gross, Gross. Maybe if you have been gluten free for 15 years and have only eaten stale rice and beans…..

Andina Restaurant in Portland Oregon
www.andinarestaurant.com
Expensive, but to die for! Dishes range from $17-$28 each….but they have a large selection of gluten free items :D

Gloria’s Delicious Gluten Free Deserts
Spunky old lady selling her cookbook, nothing super new but everything was simple and looked to die for! I tasted a lemon thingie, very yummy!

And finally Corbett/Hawthorn Fish House, There were not at the event but I went there for lunch :P

Corbett/Hawthorn Fish House
http://www.corbettfishhouse.com
Two locations in Portland, both are COMPLETELY gluten free! I had fish and chips :D they use rice flour as their breaded and it was delicious!

3 comments:

  1. I found your page while searching for one of the venders at the fair. I have to say I agree with the majority of your assessments. I have issues with Tofu...otherwise you're spot on. Angelines is some of the best bread I have tasted since giving up wheat.
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. just discovered your blog--thought you may like to check out mine some time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, flavored tofu :) I so saw some berry tofu dessert thingy and David wouldn't let me get it!!! He's so mean!

    ReplyDelete