Thursday, August 11, 2011

Sister's Chicken Salad

Ok, this one has a story behind it. I worked at a little coffee shop when I was in high school, it has since changed owners and sadly closed. I am one of the few people who know the ‘super secret’ recipe for Sister’s Chicken Salad. I am not sure I can really call it recipe, more of a list of ingredients that lead you to a prepared dish. I remember working at Sisters for at least 6 months before Carol would even tell me what was in it, and I was directed to never divulge the recipe to the spies ( I mean customers). This is my favorite Chicken Salad, it has converted many a non believer (read: Chicken Salad hater). It is best to make it the night before serving at least, this one gets better when it has a chance to mingle the flavors. I prefer Hormel canned chicken, I’ve tried it with ‘fresh’ chicken and it looses something.

Craisens
Walnuts (I’ve used pecans too)
Celery
Crushed pineapple with the juice
Pepper/Salt (If you really want to make it Carol’s way, use a insane amount of lemon pepper in place of salt/pepper, seriously use more than you think you should and then put more on the sandwich)
Canned Chicken

Depending on how large of a batch you want to make you vary the amount of ingredients (walnuts etc) in ratio to the amount of chicken. For example, 2 cans of chicken would end up with ¼ cup of craisens, ¼ cup walnuts, 3 tablespoons of Pineapple (and about 3-4 tablespoons of juice), 2 stalks of celery, and salt and pepper to taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment